The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Vol. 2
Title: The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Vol. 2
Author: C. W. Jefferys
Publisher: Toronto, Ryerson, 1945. 271 p. Illus.
Buy a copy online at AbeBooks
Table of Contents
- Dr C. W. Jefferys was one of Canada's foremost historical artists and his three-volume Picture Gallery of Canadian History is probably his best-known achievement. His hundreds of carefully researched pictures of artefacts, people, places and episodes from Canadian history provide a "treasure house of information about this country's past" (Toronto Star).
Shelburne, previously known as Port Roseway, the most extensive settlement of the Loyalists in Nova Scotia, was established on a fine harbour on the south-west coast of the province.
Thomas Carleton, born in Ireland, 1735, entered the army, and after some years of active service was sent to Canada in 1776 as Quarter Master General under his brother, Sir Guy Carleton, Governor and Commander-in-Chief.
The picture shows a party of these early Loyalist refugees arriving at the bank of a river on their way to Canada. A rough road has been cut through the woods to the crossing place.
The greatest migration to Upper Canada took place along the shores of the St. Lawrence and the Bay of Quinte. In the early summer of 1784 the refugees started on the long journey to their new homes.
The picture shows the drawing of the lots. One of the leaders of the party holds the hat: beside him is seated the assistant surveyor, who acted as the land agent and registrar...
Joseph Brant, from portrait by Romney, map of the Six Nations Reserve, His Majesty's Chapel of the Mohawks
Major Samuel Holland, Lieut-Col. Joseph Bouchette, Holland's astronomical clock, Holland House, Col. J.F. Wallet des Barres
Fort Prince of Wales is situated at the mouth of Churchill River, on Hudson Bay. Its construction began in 1733 and was completed in 1771.
Squared logs, Squared logs with bark left on outside surface. Round logs. Roof of Basswolrd bark.
This house, on Lot 5, Malden Township, on the Detroit River, is one of the few surviving buildings of the earliest period of Upper Canada settlement.
Dr. Adam Mabane, residence of Adam Mabane, Peter Livius, William Smith, Herman W. Ryland
In 1784, a year before his departure, Governor Haldimand began the construction of a new edifice to be used for balls, levees and official receptions.
The church at Clementsport on the slope of South Mountain overlooking Annapolis Basin was built by Dutch and German Loyalists in 1787. Originally Lutheran, it was transferred to the Church of England and ...
David F. Thomson's drawing of Surveyors of 1793 appeared in the Calendar of the Toronto Art Students League for 1897, one of a series of booklets that today are among the rare items of Canadiana.
Captain John Meares commanded vessels trading between China and the Pacific Coast of North America. They were British ships, but in order to evade the monopoly of the South Sea Company...
Sir Alexander Mackenzie, from portrait by Sir Thomas Lawrence
It is an interesting coincidence that on the same day that Mackenzie saw the Arctic Sea from an island at the mouth of the Mackenzie River, July 14, 1789, the people of Paris attacked and captured the Bastille.
A rifleman of the Rangers. 1777 Colours of the Rangers, now in the Public Library, Toronto