Samuel Hearne and Fort Prince of Wales
Library and Archives Canada, Acc. No. 1972-26-644
C.W. Jefferys' notes about this picture from The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2
Fort Prince of Wales is situated at the mouth of Churchill River, on Hudson Bay. Its construction began in 1733 and was completed in 1771. It was captured and destroyed by a French naval force under La Perouse in 1782. It has been partially restored and many of its guns remounted, and is now under the supervision of the National Parks Bureau.
- Jefferys, Charles W. (1945) The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2, p.29