York Garrison, Upper Canada
C.W. Jefferys' notes about this picture from The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2
The plan of the fort is taken from a survey made by Col. Nicolls of the Royal Engineers. The fort was reconstructed in 1932-1934 in conformity with this plan of 1816.
The view of the barracks is from a drawing by Lieut. Sempronius Stretton, now in the Public Archives of Canada. Note soldiers chopping out stump, and sawing planks in pit on the bank; also Indian in canoe spearing fish.
- Jefferys, Charles W. (1945) The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2, p.100