Tadoussac and it's Chapel
Library and Archives Canada, Acc. No. 1972-26-401
C.W. Jefferys' notes about this picture from The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 1
From earliest times the harbour of Tadoussac was the meeting place of the French traders and Indians who came to barter their furs. In 1600 first trading post established. For over two centuries, Tadoussac was an important trading post and missionary centre.
First chapel a bark cabin built 1617. Present wooden chapel built 1747 - 49. Bell brought from France in 1647, probably oldest in Canada.
- Jefferys, Charles W. 1942 The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 1, p. 88