St. Edward's Church, Clementsport, N.S.
Library and Archives Canada, Acc. No. 1972-26-647
C.W. Jefferys' notes about this picture from The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2
The church at Clementsport on the slope of South Mountain overlooking Annapolis Basin was built by Dutch and German Loyalists in 1787. Originally Lutheran, it was transferred to the Church of England and consecrated by Bishop Inglis in 1797. The building is solidly constructed with massive timbers, wide and thick boards, hand-split shingles, square-headed handwrought nails, crowned by a quaint belfry, and is still in excellent condition. Surrounded by old gravestones and backed by a grove of ancient pine trees, its simple lines and harmonious proportions admirably suggest its antiquity, and the feeling of its period. The church contains a number of relics, and is no longer used as a place of worship, though an anniversary service is held once a year.
- Jefferys, Charles W. (1945) The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2, p.36