St. Andrew's Church, Niagara-on-the-Lake
C.W. Jefferys' notes about this picture from The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 3
St. Andrew's Church at Niagara-on-the-Lake was built in 1794, destroyed in the war of 1812, rebuilt in 1831, and restored in 1855 and in 1937. The Reverend John Young came from Montreal as first minister in 1802. Besides attending to his clerical duties, he taught a class of thirteen pupils Latin, Greek and mathematics. The organ reproduced here was erected in 1875. The interior of the old church, with its graceful stairway leading to the lofty pulpit, its high windows, Doric pillars and elegant appointments, and its square old-fashioned pews, has much of the old-world charm, simple dignity and repose of a church of the eighteenth century which it resembles. In 1937, through the generosity of Thomas Foster, sometime mayor of Toronto, the church which had fallen into a state of disrepair, was restored, so that, allowing for the mellowing influence of time, St. Andrew's now appears with its pillared portico, beautiful steeple and noble proportions largely as it was when first built. See Janet Carnochan: History of Niagara (Toronto, Wm. Briggs, 1914).
- Jefferys, Charles W. (1950) The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 3, p.116