Pre-revolutionary Buildings in Nova Scotia
Library and Archives Canada, Acc. No. 1972-26-618
C.W. Jefferys' notes about this picture from The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2
Barrington was founded by settlers from Cape Cod and Nantucket in 1761, many of them descendants of the Mayflower Pilgrims. The Meeting House, built 1765, was used for many years by all denominations. See Down in Nova Scotia, by Clara Dennis, Chap. XV.
Liverpool was settled by New Englanders in 1759. Among them was Capt. Sylvanus Cobb, who had served as a Ranger at the first siege of Louisbourg in 1745. For ten years he commanded an armed sloop, and conveyed many settlers to Nova Scotia. He acted as pilot of Wolfe's vessel at the second siege of Louisbourg in 1758. At the siege of Havana in 1762 he was attacked by yellow fever, to which he succumbed, lamenting that he could not have died in battle. His house, built 1759, has a gambrel roof and shingle-covered walls; a type common to the Atlantic Coast from Nantucket to New Brunswick. See More About Nova Scotia, by Clara Dennis, Chap. XX.
- Jefferys, Charles W. (1945) The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2, p.3