Montmagny's Fort St. Louis
C.W. Jefferys' notes about this picture from The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 1
The area in the city of Quebec where now are situated the Chateau Frontenac, the Governor's Garden, Dufferin Terrace, and the Bishop's Palace, was occupied from the time of Champlain, throughout the French regime, and during the earlier years of British rule by the successive residences of various governors, generally known as the Fort or the Chateau St. Louis. The illustrations, taken from contemporary prints or plans, show the appearance of the promontory at different periods until the conquest.
- Jefferys, Charles W. 1942 The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 1, p.174