In Old Montreal
C.W. Jefferys' notes about this picture from The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2
The corner stone of the Nelson monument was laid in 1809. Near it was the pillory where criminals were exposed with a label on their breasts stating the nature of their offence. Here, too, prisoners convicted of larceny were punished by being tied to a cannon near the column and given 39 lashes on the naked back. St. Gabriel Church was supported by members of the North- West Company and other fur-traders, who were Scotch Presbyterians.
- Jefferys, Charles W. (1945) The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2, p.77