C.W. Jefferys' notes about this picture from The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2
This mill, on Dedrick's Creek, about a mile and a half north of Port Rowan on Lake Erie, was built in 1808 on the site of a previous mill erected in 1798 by Jonathan Backhouse, who came from Yorkshire in 1791. It has always been in the possession of the family, who have been millers for five generations. It contains much of the early mechanism, the millstones, central shaft, crane, etc., though about 1894 modern roller equipment and turbine wheel were installed, by which it is operated today. It is an excellent specimen of the overshot wheel type.
- Jefferys, Charles W. (1945) The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2, p.182