Around the Farm
C.W. Jefferys' notes about this picture from The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2
In the Lawson Memorial Library, University of Western Ontario, London is the MS. of a thesis on Pioneer Art and Architecture, by C. S. Buck, consisting of several volumes, profusely illustrated by drawings, plans and photographs by the author. It is a most comprehensive study of the subject, especially as relating to Western Ontario. Some of the drawings in this volume are based on data gathered from this invaluable source, which should be consulted by all seeking detailed information on early handicrafts and methods of construction.
The smoke house, an indispensable adjunct to the farm, was generally built conveniently near the dwelling. Here legs, shoulders and sides of pork and beef were hung in the smudge from smouldering sticks of beech, birch, hickory or maple, or from corn cobs. The meat after being smoked was covered with a linen or cotton cloth and given a coat of whitewash.
Corncribs were set about a couple of feet above the ground on posts, with walls of narrow boards set upright an inch or so apart to permit a free circulation of air. The wide roof and overhanging eaves shed the rain clear of the walls. The ripe ears of corn were stored in these receptacles to dry.
- Jefferys, Charles W. 1945 The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Volume 2, p.229