An Example of Fret Saw Architecture in the Nineties
Pen & Ink
Location: Royal Canadian Yacht Club of Toronto
C.W. Jefferys' notes about this picture in The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Vol. 3
The Royal Canadian Yacht Club of Toronto (originally the Toronto Yacht Club) has had no less than nine "homes" in a period extending from 1852 to 1950. The first clubhouse (1852-1853) was a small brick house belonging to Sir Casimir Gzowski. It stood near the head of his wharf on the site afterward occupied by the Union Station, between York and Simcoe Streets. The present clubhouse is situated on Toronto Island reached by the Club's private launch. Twice at least the R.C.Y.C. clubhouse has been destroyed by fire. The town club at the foot of Simcoe Street (1896-1906) replaced one built in 1894 and burned in 1896. Again, the Island club, replacing the one burned in 1896 (and rebuilt that year), was in turn burned in 1918, and its ruins were occupied by the members of the Club until the present Island clubhouse was built in 1922. A trophy offered for annual competition by the Club is the "Canada Cup," one of the most eagerly contested prizes among fresh-water sailors, both in Canada and the United States. See C. H. J. Snider: Annals of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, 1852-1937 (Toronto, 1937).
- Jefferys, C. W. (1950) The Picture Gallery of Canadian History Vol. 3, p.206