Browse the Catalogue
Artillery in Canada during the period covered by this volume consisted of two kinds: stationary cannon, generally of large calibre, used for the defense or siege of forts, and on board warships...
British officers wore the traditional scarlet coat, with a crimson sash around the waist and knotted at the left. American officers uniforms were dark blue, and lacked the sash.
Observe the high collars, reaching to the ears, worn by superior officers, especially Americans, and the cocked hats, worn broadside. Also note that the faces were clean shaven, except for a very small crescent-shaped side whisker.
Fort Wellington is situated on the eastern outskirts of Prescott, Ont., on the St. Lawrence. It is an excellent specimen of the earthwork and palisaded fortifications of the period, and remains as it was when completed in 1837.
This mill, on Dedrick's Creek, about a mile and a half north of Port Rowan on Lake Erie, was built in 1808 on the site of a previous mill erected in 1798 by Jonathan Backhouse, who came from Yorkshire in 1791.
Colonel Talbot was a very important figure in the history of the settlement of south-western Upper Canada. His piquant personality, the striking contrast between his youth and his life...
This work includes two images. The top image is of The Cathedral in Quebec as it appeared after the siege of 1759; while the lower image is of the Church of Notre Dame des Victoires.