Sort by:
Layout:
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

Before the introduction of steel traps, the Indians caught the beaver by piercing a hole in the roof of the house with an icechisel, set into a heavy six-foot pole, after barring the underwater outlet with stakes driven through the ice.

The Catholic clergy in Canada, during the French regime and until about 1860-1875, wore a sort of tab beneath the chin, called a Rabat. This was a piece of black cloth or silk, divided into two oblong parts, edged with white.

William Black, 1760-1834, the father of Methodism in Nova Scotia, was born in Yorkshire, and came to Nova Scotia with his parents in 1775. He became a preacher...

Frances Deering, born Boston, Mass., married 1769, John Wentworth (later knighted), Governor of New Hampshire, and Surveyor-General of the King s Woods in North America, two weeks after the death of her first husband.

These pages have been designed to illustrate not only characteristic women of the time, but also to show styles of hairdressing and costume.

Richard Dillon was the proprietor of a hotel on the south-west corner of St. James Street and the Place d Armes in Montreal. It was very popular from about 1790 to 1815.

Most of the early Protestant churches in Lower Canada were built in the same style as the Catholic churches of the period: the classical or late Renaissance, with some trace of the influence of Wren and Gibbs, the English architects, whose work...

British regiments or battalions consisted normally of ten companies, two of which were composed of specially selected men: a Light Infantry company, of active, alert men, generally good marksmen, employed as skirmishers, and a Grenadier company of the...

The pictures of the battlefields of Beaver Dams and Stoney Creek, and of the forts at the mouth of the Niagara are from sketches by Benson J. Lossing...

The pictures of the battlefields of Beaver Dams and Stoney Creek, and of the forts at the mouth of the Niagara are from sketches by Benson J. Lossing...

The Gage house, on the battlefield of Stoney Creek, is still standing, though its western portion, used as a store, was torn down about 1896.

The 104th Regiment was formed in 1810 out of the New Brunswick Fencibles, raised in 1803, and was incorporated in the British regular Army.

It is said that in the battle of Lake Erie, owing to insufficient and defective fuses, the cannon of Barclay s fleet had to be fired by discharging pistols into their touch-holes.

5 6 7 8 9 10 11