Sort by:
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Hewing hatchets followed the shape of hewing axes, but, as indicated on the illustrations, they were of smaller dimensions.

Looking up Ste. Famille St. through Hope Gate, Hope Gate, Prescott Gate, map showing location of gates, from Hawkins, Picture of Quebec , 1834,

Palace Gate, St. Louis Gate, St. John s Gate,

Skating in 1800, Girl of 1800 wearing pattens.

In March, 1803, the ship Boston, of Boston, Massachusetts, arrived in Nootka Sound, on the west coast of Vancouver Island, to trade with the Indians.

The plan of the fort is taken from a survey made by Col. Nicolls of the Royal Engineers. The fort was reconstructed in 1932-1934 in conformity with this plan of 1816.

Toronto Island Lighthouse, Telegraph Signal on Lake Ontario

Drawing of Kingston (1828), Drawing of York (1804)

The first raft on the Ottawa River was conducted by Philemon Wright, from Hull (of which he was the founder), to Montreal, in 1806.

The Conestoga wagon was so called after the Conestoga Valley in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, where this type of vehicle was developed.

Drawing of winter costumes, drawing of summer costumes

These illustrations show the clothing worn in Lower Canada a century and a half ago. For walking on the slippery streets of Quebec cloth shoes, or stockings worn over ordinary shoes, were worn.

From George Heriot s Travels , 1807

From aquatint after work by George Heriot, 1807

From work by George Heriot, 1807

SIMON FRASER (1776-1862). Canadian fur trader and explorer. Simon Fraser exploring the river bearing his name in present-day British Columbia, Canada, in 1808.

In the earliest years of British rule the merchants of Montreal began to engage in the fur trade and to equip expeditions to the north and west. The route usually followed was by the Ottawa River and the upper great lakes to Grand Portage...

Simon McTavish, Joseph Frobisher, William McGillivray, Simon Fraser .

Simon McTavish s house on St.Jean Baptiste Street, Montreal, lodging and storehouse of John Jacob Astor, St.Therese and Vaudreuil Street

The present Government House is the third building erected for that purpose in Halifax. Its story is told in two brochures published by the Archives of Nova Scotia: Government House, and The Romance of Government House, by J. S. Martell...

Stoves of some kind were in use in Canada much earlier than is commonly supposed. There is mention of them during the French period. Mrs. Simcoe, in her Diary, says that grates...

4 5 6 7 8 9 10