Browse the Catalogue
Shelburne, previously known as Port Roseway, the most extensive settlement of the Loyalists in Nova Scotia, was established on a fine harbour on the south-west coast of the province.
Thomas Carleton, born in Ireland, 1735, entered the army, and after some years of active service was sent to Canada in 1776 as Quarter Master General under his brother, Sir Guy Carleton, Governor and Commander-in-Chief.
This house, on Lot 5, Malden Township, on the Detroit River, is one of the few surviving buildings of the earliest period of Upper Canada settlement.
The church at Clementsport on the slope of South Mountain overlooking Annapolis Basin was built by Dutch and German Loyalists in 1787. Originally Lutheran, it was transferred to the Church of England and ...
David F. Thomson's drawing of Surveyors of 1793 appeared in the Calendar of the Toronto Art Students League for 1897, one of a series of booklets that today are among the rare items of Canadiana.
Captain John Meares commanded vessels trading between China and the Pacific Coast of North America. They were British ships, but in order to evade the monopoly of the South Sea Company...
Charles Huot, the painter of the picture here reproduced, was born in Quebec in 1855, worked in Europe from 1874 until 1886, when he returned to Canada. He lived for several years at Sillery, where he died in 1930.
In the spring of 1794 Simcoe built a summer residence in the woods on the high ground overlooking the River Don, north of the town of York, just beyond the present St. James Cemetery.
Mrs. Simcoe's Diary says, There was a party of Ojibway Indians here, who appeared much pleased with the firing. —a salute of 21 guns to celebrate the occasion. One of them took Francis in his arms...